Monday, September 28, 2009

Once Upon a School

Goodmorning Everyone!

I am not sure about how many of you have listened to TED talks online, but I am always impressed by the breadth of their scope - from Imogen Heap to Schools Killing Creativity, to Aid and Global Poverty. Anyways, here is a talk that I recently listened to by Dave Eggers because I have become slightly obsessive about reading/listening to anything that involves teaching, where is happens, and how we do it. I love how Dave built a bridge between 2 communities, and that relation has transformed people on both sides to give and invest and grow. It's about 24 mins long, so get comfy and press play!

Enjoy,
Alysson


2 comments:

  1. Three cheers for Ted Talks! Thanks for posting this, Alysson. I also encourage others to watch the above video (it's the one about the Pirate Store, right?).

    Another source for teacher-related videos, blogs etc I recently came upon that some of you may be interested in is
    http://www.teachertube.com/

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alysson, thanks so much for posting the video. I finally got a chance to sit down and watch it, and it was truly inspiring. I think it just goes to show us how we can change lives, one child at a time. It is amazing what we can do when the classroom and community are connected.

    In Nova Scotia, I was part of a tutoring group from the university that went into communities, and spent 1 on 1 (or 2 on 1) time with the children, and also organized leadership camps for kids to participate in. I was always amazed at the pro-learning attitudes of the kids when they had the individual attention. I think it goes back to positive reinforcement that some of us discussed in our psychology of classroom learning class, and how attention can be as good or better reward than grades, or even money.

    I came across an online tutoring resource on the web that kids can post questions on. http://www.tuitionplaza.com
    I don't think it is as powerful as 1 on 1 attention, but it could be another method of getting community involved that I think most of us could set up for our local community. We could set up a blog for kids to post questions on, and get feedback from community members working in the field.

    ReplyDelete