Monday, October 12, 2009

Body image

I should be writing up my reflection, but I was thinking about our discussions on Friday. Cullen brought up a topic that I found I felt very strongly about. He thought it was a very depressing subject but unfortunately, it is the reality of our lives today. Body image.
I probably feel so strongly about it because it has affected me in so many ways. I have watched my friend wither away to practically nothing when she became anorexic in Grade 12. I have heard my best friend, my sister, my mom, all talk constantly about how much they hate their bodies. I have seen advertising claim:
How to get amazing abs in 2 weeks!
or
Drop 10 lbs in 10 days!
I watched so many of my guy friends fight with their lean bodies to "get huge" by endlessly taking protein supplements, creatine, and eventually steroids. Finally, I have yo-yo dieted, spent endless hours at the gym, and had a constant negativity towards the way my body looked.
The reality is that body image is starting to take a negative effect at younger and younger ages. Cullen said that research is now showing girls as early as 6 years old have negative body image. 6 years old! Can you believe that 85% of women feel negatively about their bodies. And it doesn't only affect women. Although it isn't discussed as much, boys and men are constantly affected by negative body image as well. It all boils down to self-esteem. Where has all the positive self-esteem gone?
Cullen's question about body image was "Do you think this affects us as teachers?". I strongly believe that it does and it will. I think we should be informed of body image and how it affects our students. Unfortunately, as I have experienced first hand, people who are affected by the extremes of body image (anorexia, bulimia, etc.) are not an easy fix. They are so focused on the fact that they need to lose weight that they don't believe that they have a problem. Or some might realize it, but they don't believe that they will end up killing themselves. People like this need constant support and help. We concluded that as teachers, we should be able to realize these extremes of body image and somehow suggest that they get help. What do you think? How can we avoid negative body image? Can we even avoid it?
Here is a video about teen body image. I definitely suggest that everyone goes on youtube and looks at all the videos about body image, anorexia, etc. Some of them are incredibly shocking.



I don't want to leave you all worrying that this is a neverending problem. There is some hope on the horizon. During Madrid's fashion week, they have banned skinny models from the catwalk. Models must have a high enough BMI to participate and work in the fashion shows. Also, Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty has set forth thought-provoking ads containing models with real bodies, confidence building programs for the next generation of girls, and all around messages that campaign real beauty, not artificial beauty. It's not a complete fix, but it's a start!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kylie! I think you are raising an issue that is very important in today's society! Especially as what Cullen said about girls as young as 6 years old having body image issues! I think this really relates to what we have been talking about in adolescent psych about the sexualization of girls, particularly by the media!In today’s society there is an overemphasis on women’s sexuality. As a result their abilities and intellect are being perceived as less important. The sexualized images of young women that are portrayed in all types of media are creating an unrealistic view of what women should look like: young, thin and sexy. As we know, for 90% of the population this is unattainable thus making girls and women feel inadequate and dissatisfied when these standards are not met. Furthermore, everything girls and young women are constantly encouraged to do in the line of self-improvement is geared towards gaining the attention of men. In this sense it is no wonder young girls are fighting with body image issues. Anyways enough of a sexualization rant..
    I think that as teachers we need to make girls and boys aware of the impact the media is having on their lives and perhaps teach them how to interpret these messages. Further, we can teach young girls to develop self-esteem by looking at who they are and what they are capable of instead of self-esteem being based on their appearance.

    ReplyDelete