Friday, October 16, 2009

How's Observation going?

Hey Everyone!!

One week down, one week to go! I am really looking forward to hearing stories about where everyone is and what's been going on, because Andrea, Rhy, Monica and I are basically at Hogwarts. Minus the brooms and moving staircases, SMUS is still pretty crazy. The highlights have been: unlimited caffine supply and food in the teachers lounge, backpacks dumped along the edges of buildings (instead of in lockers because it is such a "trusting" campus), teachers who LOVE their job (yay unlimited resources!), and really fun, interactive classes (including a fur trade simulation in SS 9 and building a brain from oranges and candy in AP Psych). This place seems created to make sure any kid who comes thrives. Usually the kids who end up here are pretty privileged anyways, so it almost seems like a microcosm of the rich getting richer in an educational sense...it's got me thinking, anyway.

Hope to hear what your highlights and thoughts are of these weeks! Just as a PS, Monica and I are chaperoning the dance tonight, themed "I'm On A Boat"...which I had to youtube to understand ("I swear I'm hip, kids!")...and I never thought I would be on a boat. How do these things get popular?! Rich kids on a boat...coincidence for a theme?!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Your post got me think about how my practicum has taught me to provide a great learning environment with limited resources. Not to say that the school I am placed in has completely limited resources, but I keep hearing up these great classes that they used to have and are now cut due to budgeting. It is unfortunate because most classes that were cut seemed very beneficial. Even when teachers are thinking of projects and photocopying they have to be very conscious of the costs involved.

    It is very interesting how these two schools are not very far apart physically, but can seem miles apart academically.

    ReplyDelete