Thursday, October 22, 2009

Words of Wisdom



Here's a selection of some of the best quotes from teachers I wrote down from my 2 week observation at Oak Bay High. Some are funny, some are serious. But they are all very insightful. Enjoy.


  • Teacher: “Do you remember what we did last week?”

Student: “Wha?”

Teacher: “When someone asks you a question that you don't understand, you don't

say 'Wha', you say 'Pardon'”

  • “Guys, you have to learn what chivalry is. It's very important. Ladies always go first”

  • “All that matters is what you learn. Making mistakes is o.k.”

  • “EXCELLENT! FANTASTIC! HIGH-FIVES ALL AROUND!”

  • “Good rapport works way better than a good lesson plan”

  • Teacher 1: “I smell burning, have you been burning something?”

Teacher 2. “I haven't burned anything yet today. Well, except for that one late student”

  • “Is this making any sense to you guys? No? Not really? Ok, just forget it”

  • “Homework. I don't assign a lot of it. Generally the kids who do it are the ones who don't need it, and the ones that don't are the ones who need it most. It's flawed.”

  • “ I am going to ask you to read that one more time. But this time just a little bit... better.”

  • “I am not super keen on the plot of this book. Not all us men are bastards.”

  • “You walk into my class late, making a distraction, with no excuse, DURING a quiz?! Sit down and be quite. You're getting a zero.”

  • “I want the answer to this one, and I am going to wait till I get it. Cause I know one of you has it in you”

  • “Don't forget, kids mature!”

  • “Did you actually just start that sentence with 'Ummmmmmm'?!”

  • “Guys, I am not gonna lie to you. I don't know the answer to that one”


That's about it! Why not add some of the quotes you picked up during observation in the comments?

2 comments:

  1. TEACHER: Don't you just fucking hate it when kids don't put their names on their goddamn homework?
    (spoken outside of class)


    TEACHER: Has anybody smelled sulphur before? It doesn't smell good. You don't go out and buy sulphur perfume. Like... chanel #... 666. Hahah. Oh, that's good. Why didn't I say that in my last class?
    (Teacher then spends a few minutes writing the joke down in the margin of his copy of Paradise Lost)


    ME: Hey, like my new shoes?
    TEACHER 1: Yeah, very snazzy.
    TEACHER 2: Those are real teacher shoes.
    ME: They have a funny little air bubble that poofs down when I walk.
    TEACHER 1: You'd better hope it doesn't burst and sound like you're farting whenever you walk.
    TEACHER 2: But then they'd REALLY be teacher shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Best Blog of the seminar hands down.

    ReplyDelete