Thursday, November 26, 2009

Friday Nov. 27th Class - Outdoor Env. Ed.


As planned, we will be engaging in a session on the merits of teaching in the outdoors, or incorporating 'nature' in a cross curricular capacity within your teaching areas.
We will NOT be meeting in MacD103
Please meet at the entrance to Mystic Vale off of Parking Lot 1 at 8:30am sharp. (if you arrive late - follow the path down into the ravine - we'll be there).
Directions:
Parking lot 1 is the first lot on your right hand side after University Dr., it has the Glover Greenhouse Facility at the front, and is across from the Wright bldg. We'll meet in the far right corner of the lot (when facing the lot with back to ring road), where it meets the trailhead.
visit - http://www.uvic.ca/maps/3dmap.html for a map
Instructions:
- please bring with you something to write on and something to write with.
- please dress for the weather, and wear proper footwear for a light hike, some stairs, but all on trail.

See you then,
Chris

2 comments:

  1. Here is my journal entry from our initial relfective period. Please keep in mind that it was early.
    Journal:
    How appropriate for me to be outdoors first thing this morning after losing my cellphone. Being in nature allows me to disconnect from the bustle of life. I don't even care about my phone just how beautiful it is. What makes it so beautiful? The sounds of running water, the birds singing, and the way the cars sound so quiet as they pass. It's as if they're so far away. The smell of Earth and the cold air nipping at my nose and fingers. Ferns remind me of prehistoric times. This ravine reminds me of Eden's Garden in King's Canyon, Australia. I consider myself an outdoor person. I love spending time off the grid in the moutains of Alberta and British Columbia. I'm happiest when I can be dirty and when I'm self-reliant. I want to learn more about plants I can eat and how to filter water. My appreciation for nature is unique in my family. We never went camping together. I sought out experiences and adventures without them. Largely because I was/am a quiet person and it's best to take nature in silently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I would do the same thing as Monika.

    I'm not a morning person so I usually am only half awake at this time and am paying no attention to the environment around me. But today actually having nothing else to do other than pay attention to the nature around me I think I can actually appreciate it. It's so quiet here even with an entire class walking around along with all the people walking their dogs. It's hard to believe that only a couple of minutes worth of walking will lead me straight into a huge parking lot followed by roads filled with buses and cars. It feels so isolated from the rest of the world here, it's easy to forget that I'm on a school campus and that I have three classes to go today.

    I'm struck by how pretty everything around me is, from the huge trees as the sunlight streams down on them to the creek and all the different, lush plant life. In some ways I find it hard to shut my mind off and just be in the moment because life always feels so rushed these days and I'm almost waiting to be given some sort of assigned task. I'm also struck with a second rather dominating feeling, it's really rather cold here in the shade and I should have worn warmer footwear ;)

    ReplyDelete