Wednesday, December 2, 2009


Alright, perhaps because it is December 2 and I totally have Christmas spirit (although it is being suppressed by school) I am going to say part of the reason I love Christmas so much is the giving aspect...I love giving! You are probably wondering where I am going with this.

It all relates back to the class we did on that Engaging Minds article we read. I know that seems so long ago, but this has been something I was thinking about since Christmas spirit arrived! Anyways, the one question, from around the room, that stood out to me was the question regarding community work we can do as a class or as a school.

One of the biggest projects I remember from high school is the food bank. Each block would sponsor a family. As a class we would be responsible for providing all the perishable, non perishable food and some toys for that family. What a blessing and a joy to that family for Christmas. My class got totally into to it and we had at least 3 boxes of food and a toy for each of the children.

I just think during this time of year when families are struggling to make ends meat (not to mention this year the recession happened) coming together as a class to sponsor a family and give them a Christmas hamper is an excellent way for the class to be involved in the community.

Since I live in the Western Communities, I follow the Goldstream Food Bank...There are plenty of other food bank organizations in Victoria, such as the Mustard Seed. The 2 links for the Goldstream Food Bank shows the struggle the food bank is having receiving enough food, because the amount of families in need has gone up. The second link is what kinds of Christmas Hamper donations the Goldstream Food Bank needs this year. The third link is from the Mustard Seed homepage, which let's us know what events and where to drop off the food and other ways to help.




Maybe there is something we want to do as a class?

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea Lindsey. I think that would be a really good thing to do as a class. What do we need to do to get this started? What can I do to help get things going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey, I also think that this is a great idea. Just let me know what to do also and I am happy to help. After living in a thrid world country for the last three years it is hard for me to remember that people here struggle as well.Thanks for the reminder and I will do my little bit to help!

    Cheers, Tara

    ReplyDelete