Thursday, December 3, 2009

Philosophy, what a class!


Whammy!!!!! So the timing of this thought couldn't have been more perfect because I needed another entry that was an entry not just for the sake of making and entry (I like this last sentence by the way). So I today it dawned on me why I go to our philosophy class and thats because first off its crazy and second because as teachers we need to understand how thinking and knowledge progresses. Now my little realization of what that class is all about may be wrong, but im happy thinking that its teaching us to understand how ideas and thinking get altered and pushed forward over time. Before I was getting caught up in how all those guys we were reading about are just nuts, how old school there ideas are and they all seemed crazy to me. However the reason why I think that there ideas are crazy is because I was raised with very different values, values that are a product of crazy people thinking crazy and then other crazy people bringing forward a newer more progressive way of thinking. This post may not make sense to anyone but to me it's valuable and I don't think anyone but Chris has the ability to remove it so to bad its stuck here.

If you read nothing else here just answer this, what have you guys taken away from this philosophy class we have been taking these past 3 months? Im slow and I finally managed to take something from it so you all must have found something by now.

Peace

Rhy

P.S. Please don't burst my bubble and tell me my thought is ludicrous just leave me with it as it comforts me in these last few weeks.

5 comments:

  1. I would never burst your bubble Rhy! As far as I can see I have really enjoyed this class. It has been hard for me to come all the way from Metchosin for one class in the middle of the day, but it has been worth it.

    My first and only philosophy class at Camsoun was HORRIBLE, it completely turned me off philosophy! However the book we have been reading for book club has shed new light on why philosophy can be "phun!!"

    I don't think I get as much out of the class discussions, but I am enjoying the book. Maybe because I am history major I can appreciate the crazy old guys ideas, but the book has definitely challenged me to rethink some of my ideas about teaching.

    Besides after hearing what the other philosophy classes have to do I am very thankful for our book club class

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what I have taken away from philosophy class is a better understanding of what we teach and why. For me the why (a practical or historical answer) is really important in terms of motivating students.
    I remember asking my grade 9 Math teacher why we were studying graphing - what was the practical application of this skill? (perhaps this is obvious to all, but to me it was a mystery) Maybe it was because he was less than a year away from retirement and didn't feel like answering an obnoxious teenager, he just wanted to get on with the lesson, or maybe he really didn't know the answer. I remember being really frustrated and not very motivated to learn.
    This is an answer that I want to be able to give my students, both for their motivation and my own. And this is what I have taken from our philosophy class - a more in-depth understanding of my subject and why it should be taught.
    Great photo choice by the way Rhy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, when I started philosophy in September, I couldn't stand it. I was coming from a completely scientific background and the thought of coming up with my own philosophy was insane. A philosophy is never right or wrong, it is just someone's opinion. This drove me nuts because everything in science has a right or wrong answer and usually one straightforward way of determining the answer. Not for philosophy...
    I guess what I'm saying is that philosophy has helped me view my teaching subject and education as a whole much differently. Even though I don't agree with many of the men/women in the book, I find myself looking at education from so many different ways. This allows me to reconsider my own philosophy of teaching, and I think that is important to do as a teacher.
    I don't mind philosophy anymore... bring it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This class has strengthened some notions of mine and dispelled others. It has afforded me the oportunity to explore the philosophical foundations of education in order to further my understanding of how I might teach so that I may progress to become a better educator. It has enabled free thought and self education. I am sure that many people have achieved substantially different personal outcomes from this class and I think that is exactly the way education should be, as long as learning and understanding is taking place...

    ReplyDelete